This post, How To Make a Clubfoot Bar Cover, contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase through one of the links I provide, I may receive a small percentage at no cost to you. This allows to offset the costs incurred with this blog. Thanks for your support.
If you’re reading this, you may be a clubfoot mommy. Believe me when I say, I know what an emotional roller coaster it can be. I share our story in the post From One Clubfoot Mommy to Another. Today, I’m sharing how to make a clubfoot bar cover for a Ponseti bar, but it can easily be adapted for other bars.
As you’ll discover, the bar is heavy and a little sharp. It doesn’t seem that way until you see your child brings his or her feet – and the bar – to eye level. That’s when you realize the bar needs some cushion. Also, your child will kick and scrape your legs while on your lap. It took some bruising and a cut before my husband and I decided we needed a solution.
Making a Clubfoot Bar Cover
To make a clubfoot bar cover, I found pipe insulation to be the best thing for padding. I tried several things like pool noodles, but pipe insulation was the best – hands down. You can purchase it at any hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. In a pinch you can get it from Amazon. Link provided below.
When it comes to the velcro I tried different options. I tried self-adhesive velcro, but honestly, it would come off when I took the cover off. It also didn’t withstand washing well. Therefore, I recommend using sew-on velcro. If you aren’t comfortable using it, I recommend the following velcro:
- Fabric of your choice
- Pipe Insulation
- Measuring tape and strait edge
- Rotary cutter or fabric shears
- Cutting mat
- Needles if hand sewing or a sewing machine
- Measure the length of your bar inside the shoes
- Cut the pipe insulation to fit. Adjust as necessary.
- Next, slice the side of the pipe insulation lengthwise. Place it around your bar and make sure it’s a good fit.
- Taking your bar length, measure your fabric, allowing a half inch – whole inch on all sides (sides, top and bottom) to create your seam. Wrap it around the pipe insulation to make sure it fits all the way around the circumference.
- Fold in the edges to create a clean seam. Secure with pins.
- Iron your fabric.
- You can choose to hand stitch or use a sewing machine
- Sew all four edges.
- Finally, sew your velcro across the top and bottom. If using the one-wrap straps, skip this step. Your velcro will wrap around the outside.
That’s it – how to make a clubfoot bar cover. It took me about 30 mins for this project, but them, I’m a beginner at sewing.
The post, How to Make a Clubfoot Bar Cover, first appeared on My Beautiful Mess.