I love the fall. It’s a great excuse to make delicious soups and stews. Zuppa Toscana (translation Tuscan Soup) is one of my favorite Italian soups! It’s very easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. Above all, it’s inexpensive and is a quick weeknight dinner. It’s done in just 30 minutes! Zuppa Toscana is delectable soup has a chicken broth base and combines Italian sausage, potatoes and kale. Add red pepper flakes for added spice.
Serves 6 | Prep: 5 mins | Total Cook time: 30 min
- 1 lbs ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 48 oz chicken stock
- 2 White potatoes, diced
- 3 cups Kale, shredded
- ¼ cup whole milk
- On a medium heat, brown ground Italian sausage in a medium stockpot. If meat is dry, you may add a tablespoon of olive oil and continue frying.
- Prepare potatoes by dicing into ¼” pieces.
- Add potatoes to meat and lightly fry for a few minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes and stir.
- Deglaze the stockpot by adding chicken stock and scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium high and continue cooking for 15-20 mins.
- Add shredded kale and continue cooking for an additional 5 mins.
- Add milk to create a creamy broth, stir and serve.
Tips: White potatoes have a delicate skin that does not need to be peeled. I’ve found heavy cream separates from the broth and have found milk incorporates better. For an even lighter version, try using Turkey Italian Sausage. Some versions also add cooked bacon, but I have found it can be over powering. If chicken broth isn’t available, you may substitute with water and chicken bouillon.
Looking for more recipes? Try White Chocolate Raspberry Muffins