Learn how to make banana vanilla wafer pudding, a simple layered desert made with fresh bananas, banana pudding and vanilla wafers.
This post contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase through one of the links I provide, I may receive a small percentage at no cost to you. See my full disclosure policy for more details.
Today I’m sharing a family recipe and childhood favorite. My mom made this as a kid in the 80’s. Boy did I love it. It was one of my favorite childhood desserts. I remember my mom making it whenever her family would come down from Houston to visit. My mom is one of six. We were five, so there were lots of hungry mouths to feed. I normally don’t like a lot of banana flavored things but this is a good one!
This recipe is very easy to make. I’ve always made if with instant pudding. I’ve honestly never tried it using the hot pudding method. You’ll make the instant pudding according to the package instructions. Normally, it calls for 2 cups of milk per package. I recommend using two packages.
Aditionally, you could stiffen up the pudding a little in the fridge and spread, Personally, I like to pour the pudding over the layers while it’s still liquid. Either method works fine.
I recommend refrigerating for at least two hours before serving, even if the pudding is stiff. If you’ve ever made or had tiramisu, it’s similar. Except instead of ladyfingers, it’s vanilla wafers. As the pudding sets, they soften.
You can store this dish in either an air tight dish or in a well covered pan. it keeps well in the fridge for about four days.
By the way, if you’re looking for other sweet stuff that calls for fresh fruit try my White Chocolate Rasberry Muffins.
Banana Vanilla Wafer Pudding
- 2 Packages Banana Instant Pudding
- 4 Cups Milk (or milk according to package)
- 1 Package Vanilla Wafers
- In a medium mixing bowl, pour the contents of the two packages of instant banana pudding and make according to package directions.
- Layer the bottom and sides of a baking dish with vanilla wafers
- Add a layer of sliced bananas on top of the cookies
- Pour half of the pudding on the bananas and wafer cookies
- Repeat layering.
- Pour the remainder of the pudding on top of the last later.
- Finish by adding cookies on top of the pudding mixture,
- Put in the fridge and let it firm up at least two hours before serving
I hope you enjoy this Banana Vanilla Wafer Pudding as much as I do. I’d love to hear what you think of it in the comments below. Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!